Time to introduce a new post series I’ve been planning since I rebranded the site! Each week, I’ll round up a few things – news, quizzes, etc. – that are my “loves” for the week. There’s no telling what each week will bring, so let’s kick it off with puppies, shopping, and more.
- This NFL player made the best training camp entrance of all time. Spoiler: he was flanked by the four cutest puppies I’ve seen in a long time. DREAM COME TRUE. Seriously, two paws up for this guy. (Check out his Instagram, too – he posts pics of those puppies all the time!)
- Buzzfeed’s latest quiz asks, “How obsessed with Target are you?” Fun fact: I spent four and a half hours in a local Target one recent Sunday because it had air conditioning (mine was broken), and also because it’s Target. Also a fun fact: I got 100% on this quiz.
- If you haven’t started binge-watching Stranger Things yet, stop reading this post and get at it. The Spielberg-esque monster-movie-turned miniseries has been widely hailed as the best Netflix original series this year – no joke. It’s only eight episodes, too, so you can knock it out in under a week. Seriously. Go now.
- I asked my boyfriend earlier this week to promise that he’d always look at me the way Bill Clinton looks at balloons. He promised.
- I’ll be covering the premiere of DC’s supervillian flick Suicide Squad later this week on the blog! Even thought I haven’t seen the movie yet, I’m already loving Viola Davis’ no-nonsense badass ladyboss, Amanda Waller. Most intimidating character in the movie, and that includes The Joker! I love this piece on what movies like Suicide Squad do for diversity in Hollywood.
- Okay, but really. Go watch Stranger Things right now.
Did I miss anything? Share your “loves” for this week in the comments!
I had done a post like this on Chicago Prep, inspired by Mackenzie Horan of Design Darling. The concept is simple- create 101 goals, give yourself 1001 days to complete them, and see what happens. I took a look at my old 101 in 1001, and I was surprised to see how many that I’d either done by accident or didn’t feel applied to my life anymore. Graduating college and getting a job kind of does that to you- it changes things. It was time for a new blog- so it’s time for a new list, too.
DATE WRITTEN: February 28, 2016
1001 DAYS FROM NOW: November 25, 2018
- Come up with 101 things to complete this list. (February 2016)
Put the finishing touches on this site! (July 2016)
Move into my own apartment. (May 2016)
- Adopt a cat.
- Travel to a new country.
- Read 30 new books. (3/30 – The Woman in Cabin 10, Big Little Lies, The Zookeeper’s Wife)
- Volunteer for a cause I support.
Learn to use Photoshop. (February 2017)
- Contribute a guest blog post to a site I love.
- Run a 5K. (Not walk. Run.)
- Go completely unplugged for 24 hours.
Attend a blogging conference. (July 2016)
- Visit friends in 3 other states.
- Try ten new Chicago restaurants. (7/10 – Barcocina, il Porcellino, Antique Taco, Mahalo, Girl and the Goat, Turquoise, Velvet Taco)
- Get professional photos taken.
- Take a post-grad course, just for fun.
- Complete a 30-day photo challenge.
- Watch every movie on the AFI 100 Years list.
- Write in a journal every day for a month.
- Post three blog entries a week for a month.
- Buy a new lens for my DSLR.
Start a blog series. (June 2016)
- Submit an op-ed to the New York Times.
- Attend Cancer Con.
- Go camping.
- Join a book club.
- Visit a national park.
Register to vote. (June 2016)
- Spend a day reading at a bookstore or library.
- Buy someone behind me in line their coffee.
- Reach 1,000 followers on each social media channel for Love from Lindsay.
- Host a blog giveaway.
Ride a bike along Lake Michigan. (July 2016)
Take a spontaneous road trip. (July 2016 – St. Louis)
- Watch 5 new documentaries.
- Attend a celebrity meet and greet.
Go to a concert or show without my phone or camera. Enjoy the memories. (June 2016, Drag Race)
Take a dance class. (May 2016)
- Marathon every Harry Potter movie in one weekend.
- Donate to my alma mater (DePaul University!)
- Go hiking.
- Watch 10 TED Talks.
- Try a crazy new recipe from a cooking show.
- Send out holiday cards.
- Send valentines to everyone in my immediate family.
- Learn to rock climb, even if it’s just a wall at a gym.
Join a trivia team league. (July 2016)
- Write twenty handwritten notes.
- Make ten DIY crafts from Pinterest.
- Spend a day running errands and doing favors for my family.
Take my puppies for a mile-long walk (no phones allowed!). (February 2017)
- Visit 5 museums in Chicago. (2/5 – Art Institute of Chicago, Museum of Contemporary Art)
- Sit in the live audience for a TV show taping.
Find the perfect LBD. (June 2016)
- Learn calligraphy.
Conquer my fear of heights with a visit to the Skydeck or Hancock Observatory. (May 2016)
- Buy something from a local artist at an art festival or show.
- Take a cooking class.
- Cook dinner for my parents one night (dishwashing included!)
- Re-learn how to do a cartwheel.
- Do a polar plunge.
- Wake up to see the sun rise.
Finish five TV series start-to-finish on my “must watch list”. (April 2017 – Lost, Stranger Things, The Great British Bake-Off, 3%, Broadchurch)
- Restart my Etsy shop.
- Stop drinking soda.
- Design and sew a new dress or skirt for myself.
- Throw a surprise party for someone.
- Go to a music festival and find a new favorite musician.
- Play at an open mic night.
- Attend a ballet or opera performance.
- Try a new subscription box (and review it for the blog).
- Visit Washington, D.C.
- Volunteer with my sorority.
- Go to a film festival.
- Reconnect with my high school friends.
- Reconnect with my sorority sisters.
- Spend a day with each of my siblings doing their favorite things with them (all their choice!).
- Give five small just-because gifts.
- Give my parents one day off, and do everything on their to-do lists for them.
- Write a “Lindsay Loves” guide to Chicago.
- Be a tourist for a day, taking goofy pictures at iconic Chicago tourist spots.
- Visit all three of my sisters’ college towns (Atlanta, St. Louis, & Nashville) (1/3 – St. Louis)
Cross-stitch something to hang in my office (June 2016)
- Visit 5 new cities. (1/5 – St. Louis)
Join a new blogger network or collective. (July 2016 – Activate by Bloglovin)
- Create a computerized font of my own handwriting.
- Brush up on my video editing skills
- Make 3 YouTube videos.
- Host a board game night.
- See a movie on an outdoor screen.
- Listen to a concert on the lawn at Ravinia Festival.
Go a week without takeout or delivery. (June 2016)
Learn to paint my own nails. (April 2016)
- Knit something other than a scarf.
- Attend a fashion show.
Get a facial. (July 2016)
- Make a coffee-table book of all my completed coloring book pages.
Donate blood. (March 2017)
- Go kayaking on the Chicago River.
- Love myself.
- Start a new 101 in 1001 when I finish this list!